Nothin' cuter than little boys in their pjs...

Nothin' cuter than little boys in their pjs...

Monday, August 17, 2009

Changing our school of thought...

Okay, so there are two schools of thought on babyproofing in my opinion. Thought one---you can teach your children not to get into things like drawers, cabinets, stairs, bathtubs, toilets, electrical outlets, etc. by watching them like hawks and disciplining and redirecting when they try to get into these things. Eventually, they will learn not to get into that area or else there will be consequences.
The second school of thought is that you can do major babyproofing and put outlets on plugs, latches on drawers and cabinets, gates up, toilet locks on, etc...Initially, I thought that I would just be SuperMom and teach the children what they could and couldn't get into and that we wouldn't have to babyproof every square inch of our home. I also assumed that I would be able to watch them constantly and they would not escape my watchful eye.

Well, forget that---first of all, I'm NOT super mom! Secondly, it is physically impossible to have your eyes on both children at all times. Third of all, my house is a wreck ALWAYS and it is time to change our school of thought for our sanity.
So, I am now on board with major baby proofing and as we speak Tim is putting those cabinet and drawer latches on in our kitchen to keep our kids from getting into every single pot, spoon, pan, tupperware, lid, placemat, dishtowel, and cup and throwing them in the toilet, bathtub, our shoes, the dvd player...you name it--its been done! So below are the pictures that finally put me over the top.... The boys got into our spice cabinet...they spilled cookie sprinkles EVERYWHERE....
Caleb also managed to get into our broom cabinet and find the mini broom...however, he definitely was not using it to clean up all those sprinkles that he spilled, EVERYWHERE!

Look how innocent they are looking up at the camera...YEAH RIGHT!!!! This little stunt took about 10 seconds and as you can see, every single spice that we own is on the floor. TWINS!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny, Emily! And here I thought Amy was being over-cautious by totally babyproofing their house. I had the 2 older boys when they were about 15 mos old and couldn't even open the refrigerator door, so I feel your pain!
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Tim and Emily,I just pray they don't figure out how to open the the childproof latches/hooks like Bridget did.She also climbed up to the top of the fridge and emptied that cupboard to the floor,who would have thought that a cupboard that high would even have needed a childproof lock,not that it would have stopped her,just slowed her down a little,giving me a chance to catch up to her,usually the other two were fighting and distracting me, and she was up to trouble beyond belief.Good Luck!Love A.Bonnie

Louanne said...

Nadia hasn't figured out the cabinet latches yet becuase she hasn't tried. LOL.

But they were great for when she was really little and trying to open everything under the sun.

The spice photos are a hoot!

grauntie Sharon said...

Hey....don't you stunt those babies' creativity! hee, hee...As a grauntie, it's funny, but I can imagine the frustration. We don't want them tasting or eating bad things.
My solution: have Tim build them their own childproof house and put rubber everything in it and let them go. Only let them out to go to church! OR...when family comes to visit! AND....don't tell Grandma G!
Furthermore, if you had a dog he could lick up the messes.