Nothin' cuter than little boys in their pjs...

Nothin' cuter than little boys in their pjs...

Friday, July 11, 2008

Words of wisdom...

I think the common theme from everyone we talked to before we had the twinkers and while the twinkers were in the NICU was "rest up as much as you can." Now we see why! These guys are so much fun and they sleep like angels during the day. But, they love to hang out with mom, dad, and/or grandma from about 12-6 AM every night! We are trying to help them transition from this phase as they seem to have their days and nights mixed up. It's a tag team effort during the middle of the night, but who knew I (who used to sleep at least 8 hours a night + a nap) would get so excited about a 3 hour stretch of sleep!
I am trying to rest as much as I can during the day while they are sleeping and that seems to help with surviving limited sleep at night. But we would all agree that one little smile from these guys (even though it's probably just gas) is worth a million sleepless nights. They are so much fun to have around.
The twinkers are waking up more and more and interacting with us by finding our voices. They love to cuddle and watch Rangers' games with daddy. We have tummy time with them every day (where we put them on their tummy on the floor to work on their neck strength) and it is so much fun to see them getting better and better at it. Tummy time is like a sporting event with lots of shouting and cheers when they hold their heads up in the air for seconds at a time! They went back to the doctor for a weight check this past Monday (for mom and dad's peace of mind) and Matthew weighed 7 pounds 1 ounce and Caleb weighed 6 pounds 15 ounces. They had both grown at a good, healthy rate within just a week which was comforting. The following pictures are some adventures from this past week.


Caleb's first time in his bouncer...
Matthew's first time in his bouncer...
Our favorite time with the boys in putting them in bed and hanging out in the afternoon when Dad gets home from work. They love it!
Happy 4th of July everyone...mom made me wear lots of festive outfits to celebrate!
Caleb was not too excited about being patriotic..I think he was hungry!
Even though it is recommended that we limit trips away from the house with the boys for a while, we snuck in a 10 minute stroll around the block...the boys slept the whole time. But, it was great to get some fresh air.
We are buddies!!!


4 comments:

Rue said...

So glad to hear that everyone is doing well...with the exception of the "new baby sleep deprivation".

For those of us who are lousy at telling babies apart (or is that just me?), can we get a quick "cheat sheet" as to which is Matthew and which is Caleb in one of the pictures with both of them?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving us a little 'peek' into the Bates household when night falls. Wished I could have my turn and help out. Maybe someday. The patriotic pictures were hilarious. Matthew looked all grown up and little Caleb had his mind on something else. I loved it all....Luv to the Bates Four...A. Nelda

Martha Elaine Belden said...

they are so beautiful, guys!

i can't wait to see them in person :)

Anonymous said...

Hi to Emily,Tim,Grandparents, aunt/uncles,cuzs,and the stars of the show, The BatesTwinkers,
I can hardly believe they are almost 5 weeks old already. They definitely do not look like preemies anymore.I enjoy your blog stories, it makes it seem like we are all right there with you. The pics are so precious,they are the cutest little babies!!!Yes, the day/night switcheroo can be tough with just one baby, but two at once,I cannot even imagine. I hope Emily is getting enough rest, so she can keep healing, I know the babies are getting great nourishment from her milk, I still have great memories about breastfeeding my kids when they were born. I hope you all had a great family outing on your walk, it is important to have these outings, I think a walk here and there is great for all of you.Well love all of you, hugs and kisses- the Stang Gang-PS,I am almostdone with their gifts, we will let you know the day we get it in the mail.